Notes from the Former Soviet Union: but two odd-ones-out - which?

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Notes from the Former Soviet Union: but two odd-ones-out - which?

Post by norvic »

This is almost a 'Water Cooler' topic, but it may be of interest to collectors.

These are banknotes from some of the countries that gained or regained independence with the break up of the Soviet Union. Two of them, however, are dfferent, and for different reasons. Do you know which they are and why?

FSU-banknotes.jpeg
Banknotes of countries which used to be part of the Soviet Union.
Banknotes of countries which used to be part of the Soviet Union.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
vicaf60
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: Notes from the Former Soviet Union: but two odd-ones-out - which?

Post by vicaf60 »

I believe you mean the first and the last ones (the latter for some unclear reason to me).

The first note is (was) not a legal tender - it is a note of Mr. Mavrodi's fraudulent financial pyramid scheme (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM_(Ponzi_scheme_company). In my eye, it's more a kind of a share than a banknote.

The last one was issued in Transnistria, a self-proclaimed state within Moldova. The Transnistrian rubles are a legal tender within their boundaries and can (could? - last time when i visited my friend in Bendery, was in 2011 or 2012 if I remember well) exchanged for Moldovan lei when you leave Transnistria and enter Moldova), and vice versa.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Ah Victor, I forgot we had a member who would spot these straight away!

Indeed the two shown are not from any of the 15 countries that were formed after the break up of the USSR.

The last one from Pridnestrovye (or Transnistria as the west insists on transliterating it) was probably valid there, but not elsewhere in Moldova, like it's stamps. So it would have been an odd one out anyway, but then I found Sergei Mavrodi's note which bears the word Bilyetov.

Mr. Mavrodi was convicted in a Russian court of defrauding 10,000 investors out of 110 million rubles ($4.3 million). Mavrodi claimed he was not the beneficiary of the donations and that he was not used to a flamboyant lifestyle. The charge of which he was later convicted was tax fraud though he claimed that the MMM scheme was not a business, but instead a mutual donation program against which there is no law.

On 28 April 2007, a Moscow court sentenced him to four and a half years in a penal colony. The court also fined him 10,000 rubles ($390).

Amazingly, in January 2011, Mavrodi launched another pyramid scheme called MMM-2011, asking investors to buy so-called Mavro currency units. He frankly described it as a pyramid, adding "It is a naked scheme, nothing more ... People interact with each other and give each other money. For no reason!" Mavrodi said that his goal with MMM-2011 was to destroy the current financial system, which he considered unfair, which would allow something new to take its place. MMM-2011 was able to function openly as Ponzi schemes and financial pyramids are not illegal under Russian law. In May 2012 he froze the operation and announced that there would be no more payouts.

In 2011 he launched a similar scheme in India, called MMM India, again stating clearly that the vehicle was a pyramid. He has also launched MMM in China. He was reported to be trying to expand his operations into Western Europe, Canada, and Latin America. As of September 2015 it had spread rapidly in South Africa with a claimed 1% per day or 30% per month interest rate scheme and warnings from both the South African and Russian Communist Parties for people not to participate in it. In early 2016, he continued the same model in Zimbabwe (the accounts were frozen in September 2016), and later, in Nigeria (accounts frozen in December 2016). MMM Nigeria resumed activities on 13 January 2017.
(All from wikipedia)

I was aware of his activities originally but not that he had resumed and spread worldwide when released from jail!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3/4, 304, 310, 320/2/4/7/8, 331/7, 344/6, 353/8, 363/4
anilkhemlani
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by anilkhemlani »

Hi

I bought the following plastic coins/ currency from Republic of Transnistria. Something interesting.
below link from coinworld has some info on the same.

The reason I added to this chain is that im not sure if the currency has any value out of the Repbulic, but it might be interesting to collectors

https://www.coinworld.com/news/breakaway-republic-of-transni ... g--22.html

I only got 3 for now, the 1, 3 and 10 roubles . missing 5 roubles which I should get sometime in August.
Plastic Coins / Currency of the Breakaway Republic of Transnistria
Plastic Coins / Currency of the Breakaway Republic of Transnistria
collecting worldwide stamps and covers

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”