Let's make a VERY useful stampboards CROWD FUNDING gesture!!

A general welcome message to all new members! All new members are invited and urged to make this thread their FIRST port of call. Please do **NOT** start a new thread in THIS forum - just add to the one long one. In all OTHER forums start as many NEW ones as you wish!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Marshalrusty
Techy Yuriy

Re: Let's make a VERY useful stampboards CROWD FUNDING gesture!!

Post by Marshalrusty »

norvic wrote: 10 May 2024 23:03
Global Admin wrote: 10 May 2024 21:43
Maybe Yuriy needs a few beers from those to whom one powerful search function is not up to their super exacting standards, on their totally FREE subscription here, to focus his attention?

Every phpBB board on this planet - 10s of millions of them literally, all function perfectly well on that basis of using the standard default search version, which here has been boosted up enormously in grunt and reliability, over the basic package. Not noted or mentioned or acknowledged of course by those above, for whom it does not suit. :!:

Glen

I have acknowledged Yuriy's good work publicly and privately and contributed to the Pizza fund.

The point is that for many years we have been urged - as an extra facility - to try the Google search at the foot of the page which you arranged to have there (maybe paid for?) and it has been very useful. Using boolean searches is very useful.

Likewise you have stressed the need for captions on images "so that the Google bot can find them for external searchers".

All I wrote was that it would have been nice to have been told that using that box at the foot of the page would no longer produce reliable results. Had I known that I would not (a) have emailed Yuriy directly, and (b) raised the point on the thread - which then wasn't answered here.

We all know and acknowledge - though maybe not often enough - how useful this forum is. We have been encouraged to report when something is not working in the way it has for years.

Well, that's likely to happen less now.

I am actively working on fixing the Google issue. The problem is that the load from search bots causes the server to crash. This is a strange development, because the load should not be that high, but that's what's happening.

More information to come.
Donate via Paypal | Amazon Wishlist | Email me [at] stampboards [AT] rusko.net
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Thanks for coming in Yuriy, and for your work on this.

I got the impression that it was insoluble.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 291/3, 310, 327/8, 331/7, 346, 353/8, 364, 370-2
Marshalrusty
Techy Yuriy

Post by Marshalrusty »

FYI, the site will be down for a few hours over the next 24 hour period. We received the following notice from our hosting company.
As a follow-up to our previous email of several days ago, your server, is scheduled to be moved tomorrow evening to our new state-of-the-art data center facility in the downtown Ashburn, Va area.

Your server will be securely manually relocated by a member of our data center operations team. Our personnel will stay with your server during the transition to the new facility until server connectivity is fully restored. Upon completion of the move, your server will enjoy enhanced benefits such as faster uplink speeds upstream, advanced newer network switches, newer PDUs, superior increased reliability, and other world-class such improvements.

During your move, your services will temporarily be offline. The move will take place during the 24 hour window of May 17th (PST), to ensure minimal disruption to your service. You can expect between 2-4 hours of downtime for us to complete this work, though we expect the actual downtime will be less for most customers.
I have performed an extra full backup of the server, in the event that something goes wrong and we need to restore from a backup.
Ubobo.R.O.

Re: Let's make a VERY useful stampboards CROWD FUNDING gesture !!

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thankyou for the notice Yuriy.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thank you Yuriy! :D

/RogerE 🦉

Footnote: In keeping with the principle that acronyms are best used when explained at first appearance in a given context, here's a follow-up to the communication from "our" hosting company, thanks to Yuriy for keeping us advised :D

For those of us not well acquainted with the acronym PDU, I found a helpful explanation:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 9.40.09 am.png
Eli

Stampboards search engine - Is there a problem?

Post by Eli »

Hi all,

For several month my SB search engine doesn't give results and I can't search for a specific thread or a specific post. I remember, in the past, to search for a specific post, it was enough to search after one word from it like flower scientific name or a person name.

Now, I get no results even if I search for a thread using its title. For instance, searching "Architecture" (we have thread about architecture) gives two results, both are "Viewing profile" of two different SB members (see below). I tried many other searches for very active threads, but no results.

Is it my computer or is it a known problem?
search.png
Rockyman44
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Stampboards search engine - Is there a problem?

Post by Rockyman44 »

I’ve just searched for “Architecture” in the search box at the top of the page, and got 1900 results.

So the search function seems to work for me....
Search results 1900 hits!
Search results 1900 hits!
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Marshalrusty wrote: 16 May 2024 02:02
I am actively working on fixing the Google issue. The problem is that the load from search bots causes the server to crash. This is a strange development, because the load should not be that high, but that's what's happening.

More information to come.

Yuriy has said he is investigating this issue. joneboy also came up with a possible solution that he passed on, so I am sure the issue will be resolved soon. :D

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Eli

Post by Eli »

Thank you very much, Glen.

Meanwhile, I will take Rockyman44 advise and will use the search box at the top of the page, although it gives results to a specific forum only and by order of date of posting.
norvic

Post by norvic »

Eli wrote: 16 Jul 2024 04:27 Thank you very much, Glen.

Meanwhile, I will take Rockyman44 advise and will use the search box at the top of the page, although it gives results to a specific forum only and by order of date of posting.
You can use Advanced Search to be much more specific - choosing by member name if you know it (one of your own, for instance), and you can choose whether to search thread title or text, etc.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 291/3, 310, 327/8, 331/7, 346, 353/8, 364, 370-2
Eli

Post by Eli »

Many thanks, Norvic! now, when I log in, I see the sign in the right of the box for advanced search. Sure I will use it. Eli
Marshalrusty
Techy Yuriy

Post by Marshalrusty »

The Google search issue has (hopefully) been fixed. I have requested that Google re-crawl the whole site, which is going to take a bit of time (about ~10 days, if my math is correct). It usually goes for the new stuff first and works backwards. In the meantime, the regular site search continues to be operational.

Tonight, the hosting company will be performing a substantial upgrade to the software on the server. There will be some downtime as a consequence. I have performed a full backup in case something goes wrong.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Thankyou for the update Yuriy.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !

Return to “Roll Call -- This Thread MUST be your *FIRST* Port Of Call here!”